About the Work Group on Autism Research and Training

Community and State Programs and Financial Assistance

What other services or programs are available to my child and family and how do we get them?

Your child and family may be able to access services through community programs in addition to school. These services are based on eligibility criteria. The following pages will describe what criteria needs to be met by a child/adult to qualify for services through the Kansas Community Developmental Disability Organization, Kansas Mental Health Centers, or Missouri Regional Centers.

The following is the contact information by state:

Kansas—These services could include Home & Community Based Services, known as HCBS or direct financial support options through your local CDDO or Community Developmental Disabilities Organization.

Missouri—These services are provided through organizations known as Regional Centers.
For more information see: http://www.dmh.mo.gov/mrdd/mrddindex.htm

Direct Financial Support for Develpmental Disabilities

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal program in which a monthly payment is made to people with low income, limited resources, and who have a developmental disability. A child under age 18 can qualify if he/she meets Social Security’s definition of disability for children, and the parent's income and resources fall within eligibility limits. When a child turns 18 years of age, the parent's income is no longer considered when determining eligibility. One can apply for SSI 30 days prior to their 18th birthday.

The payment amount differs from state to state because some states add to the SSI payment. Although SSI is managed by the Social Security Administration, it is not paid out of Social Security trust funds. SSI is paid for by the U.S. Treasury general funds.

For more information or to apply for SSI call 1-800-772-1213 or visit the website at www.socialsecurity.gov.

Medicaid for Healthcare and Waiver Services

Medicaid, a federally funded medical assistance program, is available for children and adults who meet certain qualifications. Those with developmental disabilities who qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are one group that is eligible for Medicaid.

Medicaid has many special programs. One program covers healthcare for children under age 18 with developmental disabilities who live in low-income households. Other programs cover HCBS (Home and Community Based Services) waivers for children and adults with developmental disabilities, regardless of income. However, income is considered to determine if and how much a family shares in the cost of provided services.

In Kansas, applications for Medicaid are available from Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS) area offices. For more information on Medicaid in Kansas see www.srskansas.org

In Missouri, applications for Medicaid are available from Department of Social Services (DSS) area offices. For more information on Medicaid in Missouri see www.dss.mo.gov

Family Fees for Waiver Services in Kansas

In May 2002, the Kansas Legislature passed a proviso, as part of the Omnibus Appropriation Bill that authorizes the Secretary of SRS to collect fees from parents for services provided to their children by an institution or program of the department. Children receiving services through the following:

  • Family Preservation Program
  • Home and Community Based Services waivers— Technical Assistance (TA); Severe and Emotionally Disturbed (SED); Mental Retardation/Developmental Disability (MR/DD) are affected by this legislation.

This proviso takes into consideration parent’s income; ability to pay based on a sliding scale; parent fee waived if hardship can be demonstrated; and the child cannot lose the Home and Community Based waiver or Family Preservation services if parent fails to pay.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas, medical center campuses).